Are you one of the millions of Indians who’ve moved to a new city or state in recent years? It can be both exciting and stressful to start anew, but one of the first things you need to do is update your Aadhar card address.
But how do you go about doing this? Is there a set process, or a certain form that needs to be filled out? What kind of documentation do you need? Don’t worry – we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll provide an overview of the change-of-address process for Aadhar card holders. We’ll also provide some tips and tricks for making the process as painless as possible so you can get on with your new life!
What Is an Aadhar Card and Why Is It Important?
If you are new to India, or completely unfamiliar with the Indian identity system, you may be wondering what an Aadhar card is. Put simply, an Aadhar card is the biometric-based identification card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It serves as a proof of identity and address for Indian residents, and all Indians aged 18 and above must have one.
Having an Aadhar card allows you to access government services such as pensions and benefits, open bank accounts and avail loans, purchase prepaid SIM cards, and even apply for a driver’s license. It also serves as a crucial document for tax filing—all Indian citizens above the age of 18 must link their Aadhar number to their PAN (Permanent Account Number) when filing taxes.
For all these reasons, an updated Aadhar card with your current address is essential – this ensures that all services linked to your Aadhar number can be accessed seamlessly without any disruption.
How to Change Address on Aadhar Card
Changing your address in your Aadhar card is a straightforward and easy process. To update your address, you will need to complete an application form, submit valid proof of address documents, and provide biometric verification. Once these steps are completed, you can expect to receive your updated Aadhar card within 30-90 days.
Here is what you need to do:
- Complete the Aadhar card update application form online or download it from the UIDAI website and fill it out manually.
- Submit valid documents as proof of identity such as passport, PAN card, driving license etc.
- Take a photograph of yourself for biometric verification.
- Submit the application either online or at an enrollment center near you. You will get an acknowledgment with a URN (Update Request Number) that you can use to track your application status online.
- Your updated Aadhar card will reach you by post within 30-90 days.
After you receive your new Aadhar card with updated address details, make sure to update it with all associated banks and agencies that rely on it for authentication purposes.
Documents Required for Aadhar Card Address Change
Changing your Aadhar Card address can be a tricky process, especially if you don’t have the right documents on hand. To make it easier for you, here is a list of documents that are accepted as proof of address:
- Bank Statement/Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID Cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (Not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
By having the right documents, you’ll be able to apply for your Aadhar Card address change quicker and more effectively!
How to Update Your Address Through the UIDAI Portal
If you want to update your Aadhar card address online, there’s a number of steps you need to take. Here’s a quick guide on how to change your address through the UIDAI portal:
- Visit the UIDAI website, then select the “Address Update Request (Online)” option.
- You’ll have to log in to your detailed confidential page using a verification method such as biometric or OTP.
- Once logged in, click on “Proceed for Address Form” and fill out all the required details accurately.
- With all the details filled out, upload supporting documents for proof of address such as passport, bank statement or utility bills (if not already present on the page from earlier).
- Once done click on ‘Submit’ and make sure that you receive an acknowledgement which mentions the URN (Update Request Number). This will be useful if you need to enquire about its status later.
- Finally, wait for confirmation from UIDAI with regards to its status – usually within 90 days – in which case it is recommended that you check up with their customer service center at periodic intervals!
How to Complete an Address Update at Post Office Centers
If you choose to update your Aadhar card address at a post office, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you will need to fill out an application form, then submit it with a fee of ₹25 (and an additional ₹20 for postage).
You’ll also need to provide three supporting documents from the list below:
- Rent Agreement
- Voter ID Card
- Electricity Bill
- Gas Connection Bill
- Telephone Landline Bill
- Insurance Policy
- Ration Card
- Driving License
- Bank Statement/Passbook
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
Once the post office receives your application and documents, your Aadhar card address will be updated within 90 days—sometimes less! And since post offices are conveniently located in most cities and towns, it’s a great option if you don’t want to wait around for something that needs to get done now!
Notes and FAQs on Aadhar Card Address Change
If you’re still feeling a bit confused about how to go about changing your Aadhar Card address, don’t worry—we’ve got a few notes and FAQs to help clear things up.
Before getting started, it’s important to keep in mind that to change your Aadhar Card address, you must have:
- A valid proof of identity (PoI) document;
- A valid proof of address (PoA) document; and
- Your Aadhaar Number or Aadhaar Enrollment ID.
New Address Requirements
It’s also important to ensure that any new address is stated correctly and with the correct documents. All PoA documents must have:
-Your name printed in English;
-Your full address (including village/town/city); and
-Photo of yours on it – if there is no photo, then it must have at least one document with your photo such as a passport or PAN card.
FAQs on Aadhar Card Address Change
Q: Can I change my Aadhaar card address online?
A: Yes, you can update your address online through the UIDAI website and this will be reflected immediately in your updated Aadhaar card.
Q: How long does it take for my new Aadhar Card with updated address to arrive?
A: It may take up to 90 days for your updated Aadhar card with the new address to be delivered.
Ultimately, changing the address on your Aadhar Card is a straightforward process, but it’s important to ensure you have all the necessary documents in order to make the changes. As long as you follow the right steps and have the right documents, you’ll be able to get your Aadhar Card address updated quickly and without any trouble.
While there are certain situations where you can use “self-service” methods to update your address, it’s important to remember that most of the time, the physical presence of the card holder is required when applying for an address change. This ensures that the address change is legitimate and needed, and helps prevent any potential fraud or misuse.
It’s best to make sure you understand the process for changing your Aadhar Card address before you attempt it, so that you can get it done quickly, easily, and accurately.